Industrial engineering at Rutgers started in 1947 as the Engineering Administration Program which became the Industrial Engineering Program in 1956 and in the same year it became part of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering Department. Graduate program in IE started in 1963, offering MSIE degrees. Finally, the Department of Industrial Engineering was established as a separate unit in College of Engineering in 1981 and the Ph.D. program was approved in 1991. In 2002, the department name became Industrial and Systems Engineering to reflect the present teaching and research activities.
Currently there are 12 faculty members, about 150 undergraduate and 90 graduate students in the department. The program offers BS, MS and PhD degrees in industrial and Systems Engineering.